Sunday is Father’s Day and it’s a wonderful time to show appreciation for all of the wonderful male influences in our lives. Whether it’s your own father, your husband, a son-in-law, or just a fabulous male role-model, take time to acknowledge those who are taking a hands-on role in raising the next generation. Piled high with Fried Red Onion Strips and layered with melty cheese, these All-Decked-Out Barbecue Burgers from Taste of the South magazine are sure to please any dad! Enjoy this weekend with the ones you love.
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 11⁄2 pounds ground sirloin
- 4 slices chipotle Cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 recipe Fried Red Onion Strips (recipe follows)
- Spray grill with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400° to 450°).
- In a large bowl, combine ketchup, molasses, honey, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add ground sirloin, and mix until mixture has absorbed all liquid. Shape meat into 4 patties, and refrigerate until 5 minutes before grilling. (Do not prepare patties more than 1 hour ahead; salt will pull out juices.)
- Grill until desired degree of doneness is reached, 10 to 15 minutes per side.
- Transfer burgers to cool side of grill (or an upper shelf), and top each with a slice of cheese. Turn grill off, close lid, and let burgers rest for 4 minutes.
- To assemble, place burgers on bottom halves of buns (cheese side up), top with Fried Red Onion Strips and remaining halves of buns. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1⁄8 inch thick
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil to 350° over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and add onions; gently fry, stirring frequently with a fork, until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
What are you cooking for Father’s Day?