With the Kentucky Derby only a few weeks away, I thought I’d share this fun recipe for Derby Bars with you.
These sweet squares, featured in Paula Deen’s Southern Desserts 2016, are full of chocolate, pecans, and a little bourbon. You’ll find similar desserts served all over Kentucky, especially in pie form.
Whether you’re looking for cool, no-bake treats that are ready in minutes, juicy fruit cobblers, home-style pies, fluffy cakes, rich brownies, or something in between, Paula Deen’s Southern Desserts 2016 has you covered. From the most casual weeknight supper to Sunday dinners and birthday celebrations, you’ll find a dessert just right for any occasion.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In same large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and next 4 ingredients until combined. Stir in pecans and chocolate, and pour over prepared crust.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until center is set. Let cool completely. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan before cutting into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.