With the advent of modern day home sewing and embroidery machines, you can create your own linen collection by purchasing monogram designs and embroidering your own linens.
For the sewist today, monogram designs can be downloaded to an embroidery sewing machine, and very quickly a set of beautiful linens can be created.
Here are some “tips” for creating your own:
- Monograms using colored threads are very popular now, especially when surrounded by motifs that capture the spirit of the season. Linens are easy to care for today, so why not have fun with a classic design by changing the color to match the time of year?
- Festive colors are great, but when in doubt, keep in mind that traditional white-on-white will always be appropriate.
- Incorporating holiday motifs with a monogram is not only beautiful, but gives your table settings a personal touch.
- Large families can use a single initial letter (representing the last name) so that linens may be shared.
- The type of lettering you select is important. Oftentimes the size of the lettering will make a difference.
- The proper placement of letters is important, especially when you are presenting a gift. When initials appear the same size, then they are placed in order. If you choose a style with the larger letter in the center, the initial representing the last name appears in the middle, flanked by the first name initial on the left and the middle (or maiden name) on the right. If just one letter is being used, then the initial representing the last name is selected.