Happy Halloween! Quite possibly the best thing about this holiday is all the candy! Reese’s, Snickers, Twix, Kit Kat—did you guys know they make white chocolate Kit Kats? Man, they sure are good.
There are so many types of candy to choose from but my favorite by far is a Heath Bar. The toffee flavor is my favorite in the world. How can you not love brown sugar, butter, and caramel all combined together?
Since it’s Halloween, I’ve decided to share a few interesting, fun facts about candy!
- According to a Fortune report last year, Americans will spend $2.5 billion on candy during this time of year. Now, that’s a lot of sugar!
- How many licks doesn’t it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Well, some scientists at Purdue University created a licking machine to find out, and they calculated that it took an average of 364 licks. Although, more studies have been conducted.
- The amount of Halloween candy Americans purchase each year equals nearly 600 million pounds.
- And chocolate is the preferred choice compared to sour and sugar candy!
- Want to guess the top-selling candy… ? CANDY CORN. Americans purchase more than 20 million pounds of it a year.
- Out of all the states, Alabama searched for candy corn the most in Google!
- According to USA Today, Reese’s was the most popular chocolate brand in 2016 followed by M&Ms, Snickers, and Hershey’s.
- Reader’s Digest says Tootsie Rolls were included in field rations during World War II because the candy would last in different weather conditions, and gave troops a quick sugar boost.
- Additionally, the first “fun size” candies were Snickers and Milky Way, created in 1968 specifically for trick-or-treaters by the Mars candy manufacturer.
- Chocolate can keep in the freezer for six to eight months after the expiration date. So pop any leftover Halloween candy in the freezer, and you can enjoy it months later—if you have any left!
In Bake from Scratch’s new November/December 2017 issue, they share the art of confectionary, so you can learn how to make decadent candies. Get the issue for caramel, nougat and truffle recipes, plus more!
What’s your favorite candy?
Oh my Goodness – it’s 10am on All Saint’s Day and you all have me wanting a chocolate brunch!!
Given the choice between toffee and caramel & pecans covered in milk chocolate, I be very hard pressed to decide a favorite… Might have to take and bite – or two – of each to help me!!
These are such fun facts. We have tons of children in our neighborhood and you better not be caught without Reese Peanut Butter Cups! They are serious about their candy. Sweet children that always say thank you.
Were getting started it’s only 6:35 our time and the costumes are just so sweet, this year. My kids are at the kusp, of tricker treating, thanks for the facts on the tooties pop, I always wondered how many licks it took too.
Have you tried the Kit Kat pumpkin pie flavor? They’re quite tasty! They are a deep orange color, but taste like white chocolate with pumpkin pie spice. I love mixing candy corn with peanuts. It tastes just like a Payday candy bar!
I love chocolate, especially with caramel and/or nuts. Lilac Chocolate makes a caramel bar with walnuts and it’s dipped in either milk or dark chocolate, simply heavenly! When it comes to other candy I love anything flavored orange. I was very unhappy to see that SweetTarts removed the orange flavor from their roll, those were my absolute favorite!
The unusual sweet I like is the Buttered Popcorn flavor of Jelly Belly jellybeans. It sounds weird but it is so delicious.
I love the orange Kit Kats. I look forward to them every Halloween.
Unfortunately, I cannot eat any of the candy you mentioned. I am allergic to chocolate and nuts due to asthma. My favorite Halloween candy is the orange pumpkins and white ghosts Peeps.
YUM! Makes my mouth water just thinking about Heath bars!! I have loved them ever since I was a kid. In fact, I think I still have a Heath bar wrapper pasted in my scrap book from way back in the early 50’s, would you believe???
My favorite Halloween candy is the orange covered Kit Kats. The orange are hard to find,but my CVS carries them. Did you know these were made? I have had the white covered Kit Kats,too.
I love snickers and had some already today. When witches go riding and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ” Tis Halloween”!
It is a fun day and I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween.
Happy Halloween! I love Reeses Peanut Butter cups!!
Have a blessed day!
Happy Halloween to you too! Mine is Heath Bar too…on the rare occasion that I will buy one, I will admit, I eat the whole thing all at once. Preferably with a cup of hot tea in an antique cup and saucer. The chocolate melts just in your mouth, and yes, that caramel butter brown sugar flavor.