One of my favorite desserts when I was growing up was strawberry pie. On Sunday nights after church our youth group would go to a local restaurant that was famous for strawberry pie.
I was thrilled to be given this recipe for an easy pie. It is so close to the one I remember as a youth, it makes me smile. It is simple to cook and will be a fabulous ending to any meal.
- 1 deep-dish pie crust
- 10 ounces lemon-lime cola
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5-6 drops red food coloring
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Whipped topping
- Bake pie shell according to package instructions. If you choose, make your own pie shell and bake it completely, then cool. Set aside.
- Combine cola, sugar, cornstarch, and food coloring in a medium pan, and cook over medium heat until filling is thick. Let cool completely.
- Put sliced strawberries into pie shell, and cover with the cooled mixture. Refrigerate for two hours. Top with whipped topping, and serve immediately. If you prefer, serve with freshly whipped cream.